Thursday, June 22, 2006

Eleven Years Of Wonder

Nature composes some of her loveliest poems for the microscope and the telescope. ~Theodore Roszak

Because of my busy schedule of writing, working, and eating chocolate, I neglected to mention something rather important last week. Oh, all right, I'm absent-minded, and I forgot. I've been in need of a memory upgrade for years, but that's neither here nor there. I'm here to offer some belated congratulations.

The Astronomy Picture of the Day web site was eleven years old on June 16. They celebrated with a wondrous montage featuring some of the beautiful images they have shared with us over those years. I first discovered the site not long after it began, probably from a post on the alt.sci.astro Usenet group. I check the site every day and have never been disappointed. Often, I've been completely amazed. The wallpaper on my various computers almost always comes from APOD.

If you've never checked out this site, do so. Each day's photo has an explanation with links to even more information on the subject of the picture. And they go beyond the gee-whiz Hubble pictures (and that's a heart-felt gee-whiz, not a sarcastic one) to shots of volcanoes, incredible cloud formations, pictures from probes like Cassini and friends, and much, much more. Thanks, APOD, for the memories, past and future.

Check it out. Take a minute to explore the universe.

No comments: